Well I like Mexican food and once again, this variation on a beef taco was too strange (to me) to resist. It was so strange that after reading how to make it, it still perplexed me and I had to ask some of the Facebook fans how they served it. Luckily for me I got some advice from Jerrie and it started to make sense.
A piece of cake to make. Simply brown some (lean) mince and chopped onion, add a packet of Taco seasoning, a couple of cans of Red Kidney Beans, a large can of stewed (chopped) tomatoes, and three cups of water - simmer it all for about fifteen minutes.Whilst that was simmering, I prepared the multiple things that can be added to the soup once served. I chopped up some green onions (shallots) and cherry tomatoes, grated some cheese (semi matured and fully matured...I think this is called cheddar cheese in the US) and popped some jalapeƱos and plain yoghurt into little bowls too.
Healthier option tips!
- The recipe called for sour cream but I forgot to buy some. For the record, sour cream is my third favourite food (yes, I class it as a food of its own) however we often use natural Greek yoghurt instead of sour cream and since we had some in the fridge, I didn't go back to the shops for sour cream. The yoghurt has a lower fat content and is a great substitute, especially in Mexican style food and soups.
- The recipe also called for corn chips and for the record, they are my fourth favourite food. However I deliberately knew I would not buy corn chips as it is summer here and well, I eat enough of my first and second favourite foods (pizza and ice cream) that I thought to try wholemeal (wholewheat) Lebanese bread - perfect healthier option.
Yummo.
Category
|
Taco Beef Soup
|
Ease of preparation
|
Easy
|
Time from prep to table
|
45 minutes
|
Taste
|
Mexican chilli, mild, meaty
|
Visual appeal
|
Average, until the condiments get added - then it looks delcious
|
Radicality (i.e variation from my normal cuisine) out of 5
|
4
|
Recipe enhancement tips
|
Substitute plain yoghurt instead of sour cream, flat wholewheat bread instead of corn chips, extra spices like chilli, paprika, cumin, turmeric if you want the flavour stronger or don’t like using packet Taco mix
|
Final assessment
|
A keeper.
|

You are hitting on some great recipes~ This is very popular with family and friends during the colder months. In fact, one of my best friends brought this to me after I had surgery a few years ago. It can be comforting and healthy with all the veggies and beans. I typically use three different kinds of beans in my version (kidney, black, and pinto). You could also toast up some tortillas if you wanted to avoid the chips. Not sure if they are more healthy, but they would be yummy! Glad you like this one!
ReplyDeleteYep - I am fast learning that there are no two Mormon dishes the same...even if the dish is called the same thing! :-)
DeleteHi Phil,
ReplyDeleteI am Tracie's sister and love what you are doing with this cookbook! I thought I would comment on this one since it is a weekly meal at our house throughout the winter months. It is also our traditional meal before the kids go out trick-or-treating on Halloween (I like to fill them up with this hearty soup before they bring home all the candy.) We, of course, have our own variation. We add sweet corn, black beans, petite diced tomatoes and crushed green chilies to the soup. I like to let it simmer for at least thirty minutes, an hour if I can. The longer, the better. I stop making it in April so that my family of six will be dying for it in October. Works every year:)
Happy Cooking!
Jessica
Hi Jessica. Glad you are enjoying this adventure that Tracie inspired me to do. Seems The Taco Beef soup is popular dish with a few of the folks following me...and everyone has their own little twist. I like the idea of crushed green chillies and also black beans so they will end in my next batch!
DeleteCheers
Phill