![]() |
| The Everleigh Market is located in the lower left of the map |
Everleigh's claim to fame, apart from its perhaps now a thing of the past dangerous reputation, is its rail yard. The yards were completed in 1889 however closed in 1988 due to its aged buildings, restrictive union practices and increased privatisation of rail infrastructure.
Rather than redevelop the large site, the local council thankfully preserved the buildings and incorporated them into an urban revival and restoration project. The site also hosts many events for the arts.
I took these photos on my iPhone as I wandered around the market. Is held in the heritage listed Blacksmith's Workshop and runs each Saturday from 8am-1pm.
I couldn't help but get some snaps of the potato growers stall - so many kinds and some Aussie names too like "Tassie Pink Eye".
I read in an article that the Mormon scriptures speak to the need to eat fresh fruit and vegetables and what better place to find that than at a farmers' market. I didn't necessarily find the produce any cheaper than the greengrocer (as opposed to a supermarket that also sells fruit and vegetable) but it was fresher and always nice to buy from the grower too...ye olde world in a modern day society.
There is also a lot of organic produce and breads made using ancient grains - always better for you so these foods got purchased as a preference. I must admit though, I did sip on a coffee as I wandered about (remember, I am not Mormon and yes, I do drink coffee).
Where are your local farmers' markets? I've been to the US many times and I guess that in the big cities perhaps Whole Foods comes pretty close. I think that so long as the produce is fresh, grown as close to the market as possible and organic where possible, then you can't go wrong.







What great pictures!!
ReplyDeleteWe have several farmers' markets in the Salt Lake area. The biggest I know about is at a park in downtown Salt Lake. It is open every Saturday or Sunday through the season. There are several roadside markets that pop up during the summer/fall as well through out the valley.
There is also a service called Bountiful Baskets. It's kind of a co-op for purchasing locally produced or grown food. People sign up, pay a weekly or monthy fee and can pick up a variety of fresh produce, or baked products, from a designated spot (people usually take a laundry basket and fill it up). The whole idea is to get locally grown or produced items. Several friends and family have done it and love it.
Great info Tracie - I expect to see a pic of you and Sheri at a local growers market!
DeleteLove this blog. Thanks for sharing. It seems that a lot of the smaller towns in Utah hold a farmer's market at the city park or similar location.
ReplyDeleteIf anyone else reading this blog wants to know, our "Word of Wisdom" that mentions we should eat fresh fruits and vegetables and grains and not eat a lot of meat, can be found in Doctrine and Covenants section 89, specifically verses 10-17. It can be found online at lds.org
Thanks, Phill, for the respect you show to a religion and a culture different from your own. I really enjoy reading about your experiences.
So glad you like the blog Kathy and the info on exactly where to find the "Word of Wisdom"; it makes such sense no matter what religion we are. I think the challenge these days is it is so easy not to eat the things that we know we should eat more of. So long as I can have my favourite food of pizza every now and then I am happy (and ice cream too of course). Stay tuned for more adventures!
Delete