Back in November 2006 I was on a business trip to Salt Lake City. During my visit I heard stories of bizarre foods or food with bizarre names. Things like Raspberry Pretzel Salad and Funeral Potatoes for example.
These foods were the domain of my Mormon friends and they fascinated me. Why would Mormons have their own recipes? Do non-Mormons eat Mormon food? Who thought up some of these strange recipes that are reportedly really good?
Before I left, my friend Tracie bought me The Essential Mormon Cookbook ( by Julie Badger Jensen) that on the cover uses the words " and other secret combinations" instead of the word recipe - the mystery and intrigue only grew...and made some light reading on the long journey home to Sydney Australia.
Well after four years of sitting on the shelf, the book's pages have started to yellow on the edges and Tracie is still trying to convince me of the wonders of jello (or jelly as we call it in Australia).
So I have set myself a challenge to explore the world of Mormon cuisine, starting in January 2012. I am also a keen photographer so will combine the experience into my photographic hobby and see if I can improve my food photography along the way.
I have set up a Facebook page where fans can follow the journey and be advised when a new blog has been posted. Click here to go the page and become a fan!

Excellent - I look forward to a night of being served instead of being the server :-)
ReplyDeleteGood luck my Aussie friend! I can't wait to see your adventures unfold...or be half-baked... ;>
ReplyDelete