Your Fav Recipes

Thursday, 26 January 2012

Chicken Artichoke Casserole


This week I wanted to do a chicken dish and once more, something that I wouldn't usually eat. I headed for the index of my Mormon cookbook and under chicken I found what I was looking for, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. I've seen chicken and mushroom or chicken and asparagus put together in dishes...but not chicken and artichoke so I was sold as soon as I saw the recipe title.


The ingredients
The ingredients called for chicken broth, not something we typically have on the shelves in Australia. We have lots of chicken stock, but not broth. Wikipedia to the rescue to see what the difference was and at the end of the day it was not a lot as far as I was concerned. But to my surprise chicken broth was to be found at a gourmet deli and it was imported from the US - I had to try it.


Now the chicken broth was organic which I like and said 100% natural, another thing I like....but on reading the ingredients, it stated it had real chicken and chicken flavouring in it. Chicken flavouring? I expect it was derived from a chicken so could be considered natural, but it put me off the product to be honest.


Ready for baking
Anyway, I quickly got over it and moved into cooking mode. An easy dish to make (another plus factor). You basically simmer the chicken in the broth, cut it up, and then make a chicken flavoured white sauce and pour it over the chicken and artichokes. Bake the sucker and serve with sautéed mushies and some veges (I went for broccolini as I love green food).


A great dish for cooler evenings. Moderately heavy due to the white sauce, cream and cheese....but that is what casseroles are all about, making you full and feeling good. You could make a batch and then keep in the fridge for a few days; the sautéed mushies and veges giving the dish a freshly cooked feel rather than leftovers when next served up.


Chicken and artichoke casserole with sautéed mushies and blanched broccolini


Category
Chicken and Artichoke Casserole
Ease of preparation
Pretty easy
Time from prep to table
80 minutes
Taste
Chickeny and creamy, needed a little salt to bring out the flavours.
Visual appeal
Very inviting
Radicality (i.e variation from my normal cuisine) out of 5
3
Recipe enhancement tips
Top with funeral potatoes
Final assessment
Definite eat again dish






No comments:

Post a Comment